Barons Fall to Wilmington in Home Opener

Paul Modzelewski scored three goals and handed out an assist against Wilmington.
Paul Modzelewski scored three goals and handed out an assist against Wilmington.

STEUBENVILLE – The Franciscan men's lacrosse team opened its home schedule under snowy and cold conditions and fell to Wilmington (OH) 15-8, Saturday afternoon.

With the loss, the Barons even their record at 3-3 while the win evens the Quakers record to 3-3 as well.

After a heavily contested first half of the opening quarter, FUS scored the first goal of the game as freshman Dan McCartney scored high in the cage to give the Barons a 1-0 lead with just over seven minutes to play in the first. Reid Delaney scored his first of the game to even the score a 1-1 before sophomore Mark Hanlon hit the back of the net for this 11th goal of the season off a pass from classmate Jonas McCaig. This season, McCaig has at least one point in every game and has five multiple point games.

The Quakers scored the final two goals of the quarter to take a 3-2 lead after the first 15 minutes.

McCaig opened the second quarter with his first goal of the game and 18th of the season as Hanlon won the opening faceoff and McCartney picked up the ground ball to give to McCaig. The sophomore one-timed it around a defenseman to even the score at 3-3. The tie held for the next two and half minutes before Wilmington built a 6-3 lead off three straight goals, including a pair of extra man tallies. McCaig and Chris Hein traded goals to end the second as the Quakers took a 7-4 lead into halftime.

Junior Paul Modzelewski opened the third quarter with his first of the contest off the opening faceoff to cut the lead back to 7-5, but Wilmington outscored the Barons 4-1 for the rest of the quarter to build a 11-6 lead with 15 minutes left to play.

Wilmington scored a pair of even-strength goals to open the fourth before Modzelewski tallied this third of the game. After a pair of goals from Delaney pushed the Quaker lead to 15-7, McCartney capped off the scoring with the Barons' only extra man goal of the game with just under two minutes to play to bring the score to its final, 15-8.

The Quakers were 5-7 on extra man opportunities while the Barons were just 1-8. "We came out flat and committed too many penalties," remarked head coach Pete Rosaschi. "We gave up just 10 goals at even strength – it's a completely different game without those penalties."

The Barons return to action on Wednesday when they travel to Hiram for a 7:00 p.m. opening faceoff.