Barons Power Past Lions

Barons Power Past Lions

STEUBENVILLE – The Franciscan men's soccer offense continued to fire on all cylinders as the Barons rolled to a 4-1 win over Mt. St. Joseph, Friday night.

The Barons got off to a hot start as freshman JP Bobak got three-straight shots off in a matter of three minutes, one that went just wide, one that went over the crossbar and the third to give FUS a 1-0 lead 6:02 into action. Senior Leo Herrmann placed a perfect cross into the far right side of the box and Bobak got his head on the ball to pop it over the goalie's hands for his fourth goal of the season.

The Lions mounted their attack over the next 12 minutes of action, but the strong Baron back line kept Mt. St. Joseph from getting a clean shot off on net, and sophomore Joseph Leonardi played a large role in protecting the Baron goal.

After an MSJ corner kick was cleared away, the Barons worked the ball back towards the Lion goal. This time Bobak put the perfect cross into the box for sophomore Ian Baldau who headed the ball into the upper left-hand corner of the net for the 2-0 Baron lead at the 21:01 mark.

Just over nine minutes later, Bobak found himself at the right place at the right time for his second goal of the game. Herrmann's shot ricocheted off of the crossbar and Bobak was there to collect the rebound and slide it past the goalie in traffic to give FUS a 3-0 lead with 14:04 to play in the first half.

Franciscan had a final scoring chance in the last 47 seconds of the first half but senior Cuyler Ledyard's shot went just high over the crossbar and the score remained 3-0 in favor of FUS at the break.

After halftime, both teams switched goalies and the defenses were put to the test. Junior keeper John Bolster faced the first shot of the half and made a great stop to keep the shutout intact. Bolster made two more saves over the next 35 minutes to keep the Lions off of the board. After a little confusion in front of the net, Andrew Phelps collected a loose ball for MSJ and lobbed it over the Baron back line and an outstretched Bolster from about 20 yards out to break up the shutout and trim the Baron lead to 3-1 with just over nine minutes to play.

With 5:41 to play, freshman Sebastian Koehler drew a foul inside the 18-yard box as he was driving toward the goal and the Barons were awarded a penalty kick. Herrmann finished off his sixth of the year to push the Baron lead back to three goals, 4-1.

Junior Michael Bobak got off the last shot of the game but it grazed the top of the crossbar and went out as the Barons walked away with the 4-1 win.

JP Bobak finished the day with a pair of goals while Herrmann had a goal and a pair of assists. Starting keeper Thomas Dosedel earned the win with a pair of saves in the first half while Bolster posted three saves in the second.

The Barons look to continue this momentum as they travel to Geneva on Monday for a 7pm game.