Barons Fall to Mount Aloysius

Barons Fall to Mount Aloysius

CRESSON, Pa. - The Franciscan men's soccer team suffered its first loss in AMCC action as the Mt. Aloysius Mounties defeated the Barons 3-0, Tuesday afternoon. 

The Barons got off to an uncharacteristically slow start and the Mounties were able to capitalize on a scoring chance. After a corner kick was cleared out of the box, the Mounties kept the ball in their offensive third and James Maddison was able to connect with Joshua Devlin for the first goal of the game and Devlin's seventh of the season. 

The Mounties got two more shots off before senior Leo Herrmann put a ball on net but was turned away by the MTA goalie to preserve the lead. With just over seven minutes to play in the first, Mt. Aloysius pushed its lead to 2-0 with a header off a corner kick. Junior Mark Fioramonti got the last shot of the half off but the Barons trailed 2-0 going into halftime. 

"I think we came out pretty slow," remarked head coach Christian Bobak. "We definitely picked up our play in the second and had the chances but couldn't find the back of the net."

 Freshman JP Bobak opened the second half with a corner kick and a Franciscan build was cut short before an offside call as they Barons tried to build a momentum swing in their favor. 

With just over 34 minutes to play, Franciscan was awarded a pair of corner kicks and sophomore Ian Baldau's shot was stopped as the Baron offensive began to create scoring opportunities. Despite the ball being in the Baron offensive third for most of the second half, Mt. Aloysius was able to keep the potent FUS offense off the scoreboard. After a shot from Bobak was blocked and his subsequent corner kick was cleared away, the Mounties drove down the field and Graham Hunter found Will Funez' feet for a low shot in the far right corner and the 3-0 MTA lead with 7:20 to play. 

Baldau and senior Dominic Vander Woude got off the final two shots of the game but Baldau's was blocked and Vander Woude's went just high and the score held 3-0 in favor of Mt. Aloysius at the final buzzer. 

"The game definitely was closer than the score suggests and I really think we can play with anyone in this league," continued Coach Bobak. "We will learn from this loss, pick ourselves up and get ready for the next game on Saturday.

There was some really good play today from Michael [Bobak]. Michael really made a difference in the midfield and won a lot of our 50/50 balls and was named our Man of the Match. He generated a lot of offense for us today, we just had to finish it."

The Barons did out-shoot the Mounties 16-14 for the game, including 8-5 in the second half. FUS held an 11-8 advantage in corner kicks. 

Franciscan continues its road trip as the Barons head to Penn St.-Behrend on Saturday for a 1pm AMCC contest.